Sunday 13 September 2015

Spider central.....


The UK media is currently awash with dire warnings of legions of spiders set to infiltrate our homes.

I normally grit my teeth at this time of year for an influx of eight-legged beasties and I'm lucky in that PP is fearless, seasoned spider catcher and comes running as soon as I start screaming like a girl, glass in hand, to relocate the intruder.

Last week I walked into the dining room to find a BIG spider scuttling across the floor towards me.  Cue girlie screaming and pleas for PP to come and deal with it.
Then only last night, PP picked up my bag from the stairs and a HUGE spider scuttled out from underneath.  Thank goodness it was PP.  I'd have had a heart attack!

It's got to the point where I have to scan every room before I enter, alert for spiders.  I don't even know how they get in.... they're ..... So. Big.

Even Small Dog is wary and will run away from the bigger ones.  When she was only  a puppy she sniffed a spider up her nose so she's understandably cautious when she sees one on the floor.

I have to admit I'm a bit worried, especially following this report in our LOCAL paper......

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/local/spider-numbers-in-sussex-could-soar-warns-pest-expert-1-6954896

But wait... it gets worse.....

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/12/uk-weather-creates-perfect-conditions-for-false-widow-spider-invasion-5388813/?ito=facebook

People have been seriously ill, have had amputations and in one tragic case, have actually died.  

I'm used to people not taking my spider bite phobia seriously, but I've been bitten twice and it wasn't a pleasant experience either time.  Back in 2010 I blogged my experience.  It's not for the faint hearted.  So although I'm generally not in favour of arachnid annihilation I'm afraid all bets are most definitely off.

So.

Game on spiders.

Come ANYWHERE near me and it's squish time.

No comments: