Wednesday 5 August 2015

Perfect 10...?

As a user of Windows 8, I have been longing for the new Windows 10 release, which Microsoft has magnanimously offered as free upgrade in an attempt to mollify the many millions of us who hate Win 8 with a passion verging on the psychotic.

I signed up for the upgrade several months ago, and since it's release a few weeks ago a little screen has been popping up offering to install it for me.  I duly scheduled the install but chickened out at the last minute and since then I've been rescheduling every few days.

However, the feedback from those with more chutzpah than me has been fairly universally positive, so this morning I decided to throw caution to the winds and go for it.

I started at 9.50 am and it finished just a short while ago at 11.45


Some time later.....


*sigh*..... 


Nearly there.....!


Ah.......


Maybe not....


*sigh*......



Losing the will to live now.....


Just as well I had this in my eyeline....


Eventually, after almost two hours, the install is complete and seems to be working.  I had a bit of a wobbly with the reinstated start menu (hallelujah!) when I couldn't find 'All Programs' but it turns out that 'All Apps' is the same thing.   

Who knew....?

The very bestest thing is that those annoying side panels which popped out when you moved the cursor from right to left in Win 8 have gone, and the random screen switching thing has stopped too, which is a blessing.

It does look and act differently but it's nowhere near as scarily different as Win 8 and I'm tentatively hopeful that we'll get on fine.  I have loads of work to get through today so I don't have time to play with all the new bells and whistles, so apart from resetting my default browser and ensuring that I can find my files I haven't taken it for much of a run but I'm giving it a tentative thumbs up so far.

After all.... what could possibly go wrong? 

No comments: