Wednesday 24 September 2014

Time management..... I doesn't has it :(

I'm trialling a new time management strategy.

It's called the "Get Off The Damn Internet and Do Stuff" plan, and I'm hoping it will yield amazing results.

Basically, it involves breaking down the working day into manageable chunks and switching tasks after a set amount of time with a short break between each one.  This is supposed to ensure that you don't get bogged down in one thing, and approach each new task with a fresh mindset.

The time period can be anything you want, but I'm aiming for 1 hour chunks.  Although that's not very sensible as I have to build in a 10 minute break at the end of each time slot. However, 50 minute sessions just don't sound right, even though I could neatly fit one work session PLUS my 10 minute break into neat one hour parcels which would dovetail perfectly with Radio 4 scheduling.

Hm.  Decisions, decisions.

I think I'll try both versions and see which works best.

And the reason for this new working practice.......?


After several weeks of porcelain doll and toy casting I am faced with the prospect of masses of soft cleaning.  Every tiny, delicate piece in all those tray and boxes must be soaked in water and carefully fettled with a scalpel blade to remove seam lines.  Then each piece must be gently rubbed with a tiny abrasive pad to smooth the surface and remove any blemishes.

Some of the tiny limbs, such as the Musical Mousie arms measure just 5mm long.  And that includes his trumpet.

To say it's a daunting prospect is a massive understatement.  I normally take a run at it and spend entire days methodically working my way through a gradually diminishing pile. However it's a tedious task which must be done extremely carefully so as not to break the fragile pieces. I can't relax while doing it, so I find myself holding my breath for minutes at a time.  My shoulders creep up around my ears and stay there, and after a few hours my hands resemble desiccated claws.

It's not a good look.

So.

With my new and improved work regime, I will limit myself to just 2 time slots per day for soft cleaning.  Although it will take much longer to complete the whole batch, I'll be able to do more interesting creative stuff in the interim periods, which is good for morale and for what remains of my sanity.

As the esteemed Chinese philosopher, Lao-tzu said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"

*sigh*

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a good plan Sandra. I've often heard that we work best in 50 minute slots as after that our concentration wavers apparently.

I guess the fact I have to make up different orders helps give me variety as I too find long periods of doing the same thing daunting.

Hope it works well for you.

Sandra Morris said...

I hope so too Jennifer. I tend to get blinkered and spend way too long on one thing to the detriment of everything else I have to do.
I'm my own worst enemy!