Tuesday 10 June 2014

Called to account......

For TWO WHOLE DAYS I have been doing the annual accounts.  As a result I'm all numbered out and my digital keypad finger is throbbing.

It's the same every year.  I put it of and put it off then have a sudden and dramatic change of heart and take a mad run at it.

In my defence, I do try to keep it as simple as straightforward as possible, use a spreadsheet and a calculator and work really hard to get all my ducks in a row before I start.  However, it's usually not long before one of them wanders off and gets eaten by a fox, and another runs away to join the circus.  Then the others get despondent and aimlessly mill around, before eventually succumbing to some exotic duck disease.

There are loads of them.  Exotic duck diseases that is.  Including avian cholera and duck plague.  And something even more horrible called Riemerella Anatipestifer which causes high mortality, weight loss and 'condemnation (whatever that is).   Ducks unlucky enough to contract it have listlessness, eye discharge and dire rear.  They also show bad coordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck.  Sufferers are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs.

Great..... another dreadful animal malady I wish I didn't know existed.

However, these are the kind of interesting things you get to find out when you're avoiding doing your accounts.


 *sigh*



No comments: