Thursday 18 June 2009

Nit-picking pernickity...........

Finally making some inroads into my epic To Do lists, both personal and business which is somewhat relieving my stress levels.

I've been working on a new toy pram kit today, making a components list and starting on the instructions.
I always approach instruction writing with a great deal of trepidation, as producing clear, unambiguous, easy to understand directions is both an art and a science and not to be undertaken lightly.

I can't be the only person regularly completely stumped by incomprehensible instructions seemingly originally written in Mandarin Chinese then translated into English by way of Swahili, Urdu and Inuit, losing clarity at each stage. Anything 'flat pack' is especially bad for this.

I like clear, numbered, step by step instructions, preferably accompanied by an uncluttered diagram, telling me exactly what I need to do, and what I need to enable me to do it. My heart sinks when I read something like.......

"Attach sub-section A to pre-assembled assembly D using a 7/16"positronic reversible widget (not supplied). Ensure that you remove the self-tapping rotating flange cap first......."

Or words to that effect.

However, so far so good. I've made diagrams and everything so I am well chuffed.

In other news, Small Dog has taken to her bed, feigning illness so that she won't need to go to the vet.

Great idea..............

1 comment:

Mags Cassidy said...

If you would like an idjit to read it....
Mags