Monday 7 April 2008

Philosophical musings........

There's been far too much whimsy and nonsense on this blog lately. It's time to address more weighty matters such as some of the great unsolved mysteries of life.

Like........why am I here?

As I approach my 50th birthday, which somehow feels much more of a milestone than any of my other 'decade' birthdays, I find myself musing on what I have achieved in my life.

For example, in personal terms, I have two grown-up children, which could certainly qualify as an achievement, although admittedly not a very exclusive one.
I have a circle of very good, close friends, with whom I can laugh (and sometimes cry) and generally share life's ups an downs.
I have a loving partner who understands me better than I sometimes give credit for.
I've come to terms with a life-limiting illness with what I hope is good grace and humour, with only the occasional 'howl at the moon'.

In professional terms, I am engaged in work which I love (mostly!)
I've been able to spend the past quarter of a century learning and developing my craft then honing my skills in making and teaching.
I've passed on my hard-won knowledge and experience to hundreds of students, many of whom I now count as friends.
My miniatures have found homes in collections all around the world.
I've built a business which though small, is perfectly formed and provides us with a comfortable living. We won't be retiring to Barbados any time soon but we don't need a fortune to make us happy.
Best of all, every day, I get to do what I enjoy most. And it doesn't get much better than that.

All in all, I'd say there were many more positives than negatives.

So bring on the next decade.............

No comments: