Friday 18 April 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel..........

The thing about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is that it might, just possibly, be the headlights of an approaching train!

I have spent many, many hours today, laboriously transferring file after file onto the external hard drive, which fortuitously we bought just last month.

This has been rendered especially difficult by not being able to see anything clearly on the laptop screen, due the absence of a functioning graphics card.

If I say that I've been trying to work at a screen which looks like it's been overlaid with opaque animated tartan, then the more imaginative readers of this blog may have some idea of the scale of the problem.
Not only animated tartan, but randomly colour changing tartan.
It makes me feel quite bilious.

Add to that the necessity of going through my entire email inbox to identify 'really important stuff' and ditch all the rest.
If I say that the contents of my inbox and various folders this morning numbered in excess of 8000 emails, then again, you have some idea of the scale of the problem.
I have systematically weeded out all the dross over the course of the day, becoming more and more cavalier as the hours have passed. If this has taught me anything, it is to be more ruthless with routine cleaning of my inbox and sent folders in future.

At some point tomorrow, between the hours of 9am and 6pm I will take delivery of a new laptop, all virginal and unsullied.
This is a great responsibility and I intend to be scrupulous in what I load into it. Always assuming that it all works and I can get onto the internet etc.

However, conscious of all this 'sturm and drang' for the past 24 hours, I think some light relief might be in order, and since I had to go through hundreds of jpgs today in my clearout, here is just one which I've had saved for ages, and which, despite my angst, made me laugh outright.......


No comments: