Saturday 26 April 2008

Farewell Humph........

I was saddened to read of the passing of Humphrey Lyttleton, who died last night at the age of 86. Although I admired his prowess as a jazz trumpeter, I was a particular fan of the Radio 4 'antidote to quiz games', "I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue", of which he was chairman and inspired leader.

The programme has been running since 1972, and I have often been reduced almost to tears by the anarchic wit displayed, by Humph in particular.

Fellow aficionados may wish to visit the official fan site, which is a treasure trove of quotes and excerpts, including an encyclopaedic set of rules for the labyrinthine 'Mornington Crescent'. The instructions for playing "One Song To The Tune Of Another" are also worth a look for a 'stream of consciousness' set of analogies.

In the 'Gallery' there is also an extremely rare photo of Sven and Samantha.

You either 'get' the humour or you don't but in my book the programme is one of the funniest on radio.

http://www.isihac.co.uk

PS Have just been googling "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue", the better to illustrate the inspired humour which permeates the show.

Found an excellent Wikiepedia entry.........scroll down to Format, and Humour.

And enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Sorry_I_Haven't_A_Clue#Humour

No comments: